The Election Commission of India (ECI) is the constitutional head for all election related activities, such as supervising the polls, managing the electoral roll and voter cards. It directs the Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) of each state to ensure voters get their ID cards and have their names listed in the electoral roll.
The CEO of a particular state has a dedicated website, which can be accessed from the main ECI website. In the CEO site, you can get a lot of information and do a number of tasks, such as:
- Apply for your voter card
- Check the election ID card status
- Download election ID card application form
- Check the already existing electoral roll
- Search for your name in the voter list
…And, find out the latest information about the constituencies and elections.
Importance of Voter List
Although election ID card is essential for voting and a number of other activities, such as opening your bank account, getting e-ticket, booking a hotel, etc, it is not enough to cast your vote. In other words, if you just have an election card but don’t have your name listed in the electoral roll, you will not be able to cast your vote.
A voter list or electoral roll is…
- A list of voters for a particular constituency. In other words, it is available for each constituency.
- Each voter is entitled to have his or her name listed in one constituency. This depends on the address mentioned in the voter card.
- A voter must reside in that address that is mentioned in the election ID card. For instance, a student studying in a hostel is entitled to have a voter card with the hostel as his or her residential address. The electoral roll of that area will have his or her name.
Updating the Electoral ID Card
Those who are working at a particular place – away from their permanent residence – or those studying in a hostel must update their electoral card. So, each year, thousands of voters apply for a change in their voter card by downloading the correct election ID card application form. They fill it up and submit the same.
After a couple of months, the CEO website helps the voters to check their election ID card status. You need to click, ‘know your status’ link to find out about the status of your voter card. If you find that it is verified and updated, you need to get the updated copy.
Getting Listed in the Electoral Roll
Although the election ID card application form 8 allows you to get the updated election ID card, your name may not be listed in the electoral roll. You may check the existing voter list and find that your name is not available. However, the ERO updates the voter list every few months.
Similar to the search option for the election ID card status, the CEO website allows voters to check the voter list. To know whether your name is actually available in the updated electoral roll, you need to access the following link:
- Click the Search button.
- Opt for the language. You may choose English language from the given category.
- Click the Go button. You will be taken to the second page with various other parameters.
- Key in the district in the given option.
- Key in the Assembly constituency name.
- Key in the voter’s name.
- Click the Search option.
…The status whether your name listed in the electoral roll is displayed. If it is enlisted, you can visit the polling booth with your updated election ID to vote for your leader.
It may take quite some time to have your name listed in the voter list. You can visit the ERO’s office if you feel that 2-6 months have passed after your application of a new voter card. Make sure you take the application ID number with you. It is through this number that the updated election ID is traced and your name can be included in the voter list.