Today, voters ID card is a must for casting vote in India. It also acts as an identity card that helps you to get many services that are meant for law-abiding citizens. Hundreds of youngsters become new voters each year as they turn 18. With just a click of few buttons, you can apply for your election card online.
However, is it easy and quick to apply for your voter card online? How do you furnish the documents that are needed for applying for the card? Read on to know more about how to get the ID-card through the net.
Why Get Voter ID Card Online?
Online submission for a voter’s ID card saves people from standing in long queues and waiting for their turn to come. However, this is not the only reason why many rely on the internet to do the job of getting a voter card. Here are some utilities why many make a beeline for online registration of election card:
- It is easy, hassle-free, quick, and error-free
- It takes only a month to get the card compared to 9 months when one submits at the polling booth
- It is possible to make changes to existing card in just a jiffy
- It is convenient to know the status of voter id card through mobile phone updates
- It functions like an e-ticket where you can complete the process at your own convenient time.
What Must You Do?
It does not take much effort to apply for electoral card online. Technical bugs are regularly removed and the process is managed by top IT firms, Microsoft Corp and Tata Consultancy Services. You need to:
- Log on to the official site of your state’s Chief Electoral Officer.
- Click on option which says Form 6 (also referred to as ‘Application for including name in assembly constituency voters list)
- Enter your name, email ID and mobile number. A unique login number and password will be allotted to you.
- Log on with the unique login number and password you have been provided.
- Click on Form 6 online.
- Fill the form completely and accurately.
- Attach a passport-size color photograph.
- Click the “Submit” button.
…Your online application for electoral card is done. However, documents needed for approval must be hard copies that must be submitted at your voters’ facilitation center. The documents include copies of address and identity proof. Once the verification is done, your task for applying voter card is over.
Success of Online Submission for Voter Card
Chief Electoral Officer for each state is responsible for net-based registration process. Online registration was first introduced by Karnataka in mid 2011. Today, most of the new voters choose online registration process to get their voter card. Various certified websites are available on the net where you can register. Care must be taken that you are not conned by dubious links or virus-inflicted sites.
The EC website states the details of the polling booths that have gone online and ready to accept web-based applications for the voter card. Google Maps are used to locate each polling booth to ensure that the right ones are registered for online submission of the application.
So, if you want a new voter’s card or want to change a typo error in your card, here is a chance. Just go online to do the needful.