The beauty of democracy is that the ultimate sovereignty vests with the people. For a democracy to bloom, people in the country have to participate in the Electoral Process. The rate of people’s participation is directly proportional to the social empowerment of a country. India being the largest democracy in the world, it is all the more important to exercise our franchise. The good thing is, over the years, voter participation in the electoral process is steadily on the rise. But still lakhs of eligible citizens are left with no voter ID cards, some because of improper and negligible government machinery, and some because of lack of awareness. With the rise of digitalisation of every public amenity and the government’s impetus to Digital India, it is desirable and more importantly, easier to apply and get a Voter Card
Process of getting a Voter Card:
Everyone above the age of 18 years is eligible to get a voter ID card and exercise his/her right to franchise. Getting a voter ID card is faster and easier if applied online. The process is hassle- free, you need not run around government offices and waiting for the officials to respond to you. You can get everything done by the click of the mouse, provided you have the necessary documents with you.
- You just have to go to the official website of the Election commission of India ‘www.nvsp.in‘ (National Voter’s Service Portal) and register as a new user.
- Then a page called form -6 will appear on the screen in which you need to enter your details with necessary ID proofs, photograph, address proof etc.
Click here to get form-6 directly.
- After confirming the veracity of your details, you just need to submit the application.
- That’s it. You just finished your Online Voter ID application hassle free.
Verification after applying for Voter Card Online
- After applying for the Online Voter ID through NVSP ( National Voters Service Portal ) you should wait for the BLO (Booth Level Officer) to visit our address for verification.
- The BLO may visit within a month or two to verify the documents that you uploaded in the NVSP Portal.
- You are supposed to provide them with the Original documents to prove the authenticity.
- If you fail to provide the original documents for verification, they may cancel the registration.
- Hence it is always recommended that you upload only the documents whose originals are safe in hand.
Thus it is always safe to apply for Voter Card – Online, as the method is more transparent, and you will get the voter ID card faster. The offline application normally takes longer time than the online application. You need not go to the office and wait for the officials to address your issues if you apply online.
Getting the voter ID card is only half of the solution. You must exercise your right to vote. Voter ID Card is a very important tool to have your own voice in a democracy. It can shape a country’s future and progress. DO VOTE!