As per the Election Commission of India official rules, the Indian citizens who are 18 years old on January 1st of the year for which the voter list and electoral roll is prepared are eligible to be registered as a voter to vote in the elections in the Constituency where he/she resides and have a voter ID card. To find information on how to apply for a new voter card if you do not already have one, click on this link.
If you have received a voter card, but it has some mistakes or if you would like to make some more voter card correction, then, for voter card correction, please follow the given instructions below.
Steps for Voter Card Correction
Form 8 is the required form for voter card correction. Please click on this link to go to the form 8 and fill it online. Do continue reading the article to understand how to fill the form 8 according to the instructions given below.
Eligibility for Form-8 and Voter Card Correction
If your name is already included in voter list or electoral roll, then the person is eligible to fill Form-8 to change the personal details that are printed in the roll for voter card correction. To check if your name is already in the electoral roll, follow the instructions on this link.
One person cannot file the voter card correction application by filling in the particulars of another person. Form-8 can be filled by the person who requires voter card correction with the right details entered in the electoral roll. The application has to be filled and submitted within the specific days mentioned by the Election Commission of the particular state.
Only one copy of the application must be filled. Do not submit additional forms of Form-8 for voter card correction.
Where to file and submit Form-8 for Voter Card Correction
- During the period of revision, an application can be filled and submitted at the designated places – as an online submission or in the local office of the corresponding constituency.
- During the other times of the year, when the revision programme is not going on at the time, the application can be filled only with the constituency’s Electoral Registration Officer.
Instructions to follow Form 8 for Voter Card Correction
- Constituency – The application for voter card correction should be addressed to the Electoral Registration Officer of constituency in which the name of the applicant is included already.
- Also write the name of the constituency in the blank space correctly.
- Name – In Part I of the Application, write the name of the applicant, as it should appear in the voter list or electoral roll.
- The full name of the applicant, except the surname should be written correctly in the first box and the surname should be in the second box, written without mistakes.
- Caste should not be mentioned anywhere on the form except in certain cases of the caste being the surname.
- Do not mention honorific appellations.
- This part of the form is mandatory. Please fill up the following in Form-8 for voter card correction.
- Part Number
- Serial number
- You should indicate the applicant’s Age in years and months as on January 1 of the year with reference to which the electoral roll is printed.
- Write the applicant’s sex in full in the space provided, for example, Male / Female / Other.
- Date of Birth , with Document Proof- The applicant has to fill up the date of birth in figures in the space provided in the form dd/mm/yyyy. The date of birth proofs to be attached are to be one of the below proofs to be submitted:
- Certificate of birth issued by Municipal Authorities, or district office of the Registrar of Births & Deaths, or the Baptism certificate
- Certificate of birth from school last attended by the applicants or any recognised educational institutions
- If a person has passed class 10 or more, the person should give a copy of the mark sheets of class 10 , if it is as a proof of date of birth
- A declaration in the format prescribed as given in Annexure-1 made by either his parents if the person is not educated until class 10
- A certificate of age as given by a Sarpanch of the Gram Panchayat concerned, or by a member of the concerned Municipal Corporation / Municipal Committee in case the person is not educated till class 10 and if both the parents are not alive.
- Indian Passport.
- PAN Card.
- Driving License.
- Aadhar card.
- Relation’s Name
- In case of an unmarried female applicant, the name of Father / Mother is to be mentioned.
- In case of a married female applicant, the name of Husband is to be mentioned.
- Place of Ordinary Residence – In Application Form Part – II, please fill up complete postal address including the PIN code. Proof of the ordinary residence to be attached are as follows:
- Bank / Kisan / Post Office current Pass Book
- Applicant’s Ration Card / Passport / Driving License / Income Tax Return filed or Assessment Order
- Latest Water / Telephone / Electricity / Gas Connection Bill for that address, either in the name of the applicant or that of his / her immediate relation like parents etc.
- Postal department’s posts received / delivered in the applicant’s name at the given address.
- Details of Elector’s Photo ID Card / Voter card
- If you already have a Photo/voter ID Card by the Election Commission, please mention the card number and date of issue in the space provided in Application Form Part III.
- Please attach photocopy of both sides of the card in a proper manner.
- Voter card correction details
- In Application Part V (online form) or Part IV (offline), you should indicate the details of entries to be corrected for voter card coorection.
- Clearly put a tick in the box next to the details that need to be corrected on the basis of information given in the previous parts of the voter card correction application.
- Please cut out the alternatives that are not to be corrected in the voter card application.
- In case the voter card correction application is for correcting a wrong photograph, then the applicant may write “My Photograph” in Part IV of the application and if possible, attach a recent passport size coloured photograph with the voter card correction application.
Therefore, it is extremely easy to do Voter Card Correction for any wrong details mentioned on the voter ID card or electoral roll.
Comment Policy [Please read this before posting your comments]: Only use your real name. Your words are your own, so be nice and helpful if you can. Please, do not share any personal information in your comments. For further details, please read our Comments Policy available over here.