Years back, elections were held in India without a voter identity card. However, ever since the amendment of the R.P. Act, the Election Commission of India (ECI) issued a photo-identity card to all the valid voters in the country.
New voters are formed each year as youngsters turn 18 years and become eligible to vote. If you are one from the group, you need to get your name registered in the voter’s list and acquire a valid voter’s ID card before you can think of casting your vote for your preferred representative to the Parliament.
Let us check how to apply for a new electoral card in Delhi if you’ve attained 18 years of age or have recently shifted to the capital city and require updating your voter card.
Need of a Voter Card
A voter must have a voter card to cast vote in India. An Indian citizen, who has been residing in the country and has attained adulthood, can be eligible to get a voter card. Remember however, that getting your name listed in the voter list is also a must. But, this enrollment would not be enough. When you exercise your franchise, you must have an electoral card as well.
Apart from voting rights, a voter ID card would allow a voter to book e-tickets for railways, reserve a hotel room, or avail other services offered by the government to citizens of India only. Voters ID serve as a photo identity card that can be a proof of age, identity, and place of residence.
Applying for Voter ID Card Online
Although you may be out-of-Delhi on a tour, you can still apply for your electoral card with just a few clicks in the computer. The ECI manages and organizes elections in our country where the Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) issues orders to various workers in ECI. Each state for instance, has a State Election Commissions (SEC), Election Registration Office (ERO) and a dedicated website where various forms are available.
To apply for voter card online, you need to:
- Visit the SEC website, which should be http://ceodelhi.gov.in/OnlineErms/login.aspx as you want to apply for your ID card in Delhi.
- Sign Up if you are a new user. A new Login and Password would be generated.
- Access the website again with the new Login and Password. An e-Registration Menu Item page is displayed.
- Click on the link that specifies new voter. Form 6 will be displayed.
- Download form 6.
- Fill in the form specifying each detail correctly. Specify your Assembly constituency in the form for instance. If you don’t know your constituency, select the required link to know the same.
- Upload a passport size photograph in the correct slot.
- Upload documents in the slot asked. If you have soft copies of the documents, it should be simple. If not, you need to submit your credentials to the nearest Booth Level Officer (BLO) in Delhi.
- Click the Submit button once you have completely filled up the form
The form must be submitted with valid credentials, such as a proof of residence, identity proof, and age proof – in case, the applicant is aged between 18 and 21 years.
Visiting VREC to Get Voter Card
Many applicants submit the form as well as the documents online. However, in case you are not able to upload the documents online, you can send it by post to the Voters’ Registration and EPIC Centre (VREC) of your assembly constituency. Remember, Delhi has 70 assembly constituencies under it. Each constituency would have its own VREC.
So, apply online, visit VREC, or submit the form to your nearest BLO to get your Voter ID in Delhi.