After the amendment of the R.P. Act, it was decided that each voter in India would be given a photo-based voter card to cast votes. However, errors were noticed in many cards. With the formation of the website of Election Commission of India (ECI), it is now possible to rectify typo errors through the online process.
Why Errors Appear in Voter ID Card?
All citizens in India, who have attained adulthood, reside in the country, and have an eligible voter ID card, can cast votes. Each constituency in the country has a voters list where the names of the voters living in that constituency appear. The ECI is responsible for issuing the election cards.
However, there may be typo errors in the names, address, and father’s name of an individual. Here are some reasons why it occurs:
- The information provided to the election commission officers were either wrongly jotted down by the representatives or wrong information was provided.
- Many voters inadvertently typed in errors while submitting the application online.
- Many typo errors occurred when the data is uploaded in the computer database
- Errors occurred during translation, especially of names of a person or place.
Address – an Important Part in a Voter ID Card
Many voters, who have received a voter’s card with errors in it, do not bother to change it. However, this can cause a serious problem later on. For instance, a voter card is a valid identity card that identifies the person and certifies the place of residence. When the address is incorrect, this I-card may not be taken for verification.
The photo-identity electoral card is also used today to get e-tickets, such railway tickets, and book hotels. You may be asked to furnish the same for applying for passport or visa. If the address is wrong, you may face more problems.
Rectifying Errors in Address Online
Why keep a faulty voter ID card when you can change the text in the card, especially rectify the typo errors in the address section. Remember, it is hassle free today as the process can be done with just a few clicks on the computer.
The State Election Commission (SEC), which works under the orders of the Election Commissioner, takes charge on grievances of the voters in that particular state. You need to log in to your state ECI website, and go through the following steps:
- Visit E-registration Menu Item. The Correct your Card option is displayed.
- Click the Correct your Card option. Form 8 is downloaded for you in a separate window.
- Fill in the parameters in the form. Make sure they are correct in all respect. You need to furnish details such as, the constituency, district, and personal credentials.
- Fill in the details mentioned in your existing voter’s ID card, such as EPIC number, name of your constituency, email ID, and mobile number.
- Upload your passport size photograph in the photo upload section.
- Click the Translate button to translate the form inputs into your regional language. The translated version of the form is displayed. You need to check it thoroughly to see if the spellings or words are correct.
- Click the Save button to save the application. An application number will be displayed.
- Print the saved application or convert the same to a PDF file and take printout of the same later.
… After the acknowledgment, the Election Registration Officer (ERO) or the Booth Level Officer (BLO) will verify the details mentioned in the application form. If correct, you would soon get your new voter ID card with rectified address.
Remember, you can also visit your nearest ERO to get the said form.
Comment Policy [Please read this before posting your comments]: Only use your real name. Your words are your own, so be nice and helpful if you can. Please, do not share any personal information in your comments. For further details, please read our Comments Policy available over here.