Voter’s ID card is not only important in allowing you to cast your vote it also acts as a valid identity proof. This card is issued by the Chief Election Commission and distributed by booth level officers once the voter applies for the same.
However, it may happen that the I-card gets lost. The voter will not be able to cast vote without it. He or she needs to seek a duplicate election ID card in order to exercise the franchise. You can get your duplicate voter card by either getting the respective forms from the nearest office or download the same from the net.
How to Get Duplicate Election Card?
Many people lose their voter card while traveling. Voters often lose their cards due to theft, simply misplaced or unintentionally damage them. However, in any case they can get a duplicate card.
Here are some tasks which you need to do if you are looking for a duplicate electoral card.
- File an FIR with the police informing them the loss of the voter card.
- Keep the copy of the FIR handy.
- Get the 002 form (for issuance of duplicate voter ID card) from your local election commission office or from your state election commission’s website.
- Fill up the form. It should be complete in all aspects.
- Attach the copy of the FIR.
- Attach a document that certifies your identification proof. This could be a copy of your passport, driving license, pan card, or ration card.
- Attach a document that certifies your place of residence or address. This could be a copy of your gas bill, electricity bill, telephone bill, and so on.
…Submit the form along with the documents to your local Chief Election Commission office. You will be given a receipt for receiving the documents. Check the status of the duplicate electoral card online from time to time to know when you would receive the duplicate ID card.
Apply for Duplicate Voter Card online
Duplicate voter’s ID card can be applied online as well. You need to visit the Election Commission website available for your state and access the 002 form. Once you download it and fill-it up, you need to submit the same along with the FIR copy, proof of identification and address to the local electoral registration office.
When Duplicate Card is not Issued
Duplicate voter card may not be issued in case you don’t provide substantial documents, such as copy of the FIR while submitting the form. NRIs who don’t reside in India are also not entitled to get the voter card. However, an NRI who is a government employee and working at a foreign country on behalf of the government can get a Voter ID Card.
For any queries regarding the duplicate election card, you should seek advice from the local Chief Electoral Officer. Remember, each state is responsible for issuing the ID-card for voters of that particular state. You may need to pay a nominal amount in exchange of getting the duplicate card.
Don’t forget to also check the status of the election card from your state’s EC website.